Did you know that it takes between 500 and 1,000 years for a single piece of plastic to decompose? That means that every piece of plastic that was ever made is STILL in existence somewhere on our planet today. And that fact is incredibly scary when you think about how much plastic we each use on a daily basis. Each year, the average American throws away 185 pounds of plastic – which, collectively, is enough to circle the earth FOUR TIMES.
It’s daunting, I know. But the good news is that there are plenty of companies stepping up to the plate to create eco-friendly, resusable and biodegradable substitutions for the plastic products we have grown used to. Most of these products don’t cost that much more, but using them will help us pay our children forward, giving them a planet they deserve.
Click the links below for easy purchase.
- Bee’s Wrap – Bee’s Wrap is a great alternative to Saran Wrap, comes in pretty prints, and is extremely versatile. Made of natural materials, it is completely washable and reusable, and seals with just the heat from your hands.
- Silicone Suction Lids – These lids create an airtight seal on almost any bowl, pan or dish. The lids are an easy alternative to Saran Wrap when you have leftovers to store in the fridge, and they are safe for cooking, which makes reheating a breeze.
- Biodegradable K Cups – K Cups are one of the biggest culprits of plastic pollution, but don’t fear: there is an alternative for single-serve brewers! Amazon offers several brands of K Cups that are compostable, but San Francisco Bay Coffee is one of my favorites. Available on Amazon and at Costco, these cups are made of plant-based materials.
- Mesh Produce Bags – I love these bags. Not only do they replace the plastic produce bags from the grocery store, but they actually keep your produce fresher, longer.
- Bamboo Toothbrushes – Can you imagine how many toothbrushes and lighters are buried in landfills?? Gross. Check out these Bamboo toothbrushes for an earth-friendly alternative.
- Silicone Zip Bags – There are a lot of options when it comes to Silicone bags. My favorite are from Stasher and (re)zip. Available on Amazon and at Target.
- Paper Sandwich Bags – My kindergartner LOVES these bags. They are adorable, fun, and makes lunchtime like opening presents. There is an adhesive seal to close the bags, a place to write a note, and at $3.99-4.99 for a box of 50, they won’t break the bank.
- Compostable Wheat Straw Plates and Cups – Next time you’re stocking up for a party, consider compostable or biodegradable cups, plates and straws. Sturdier than traditional paper plates, these plates from World Centric are great for eating while standing, mingling or chasing children!
- Stainless Steel Sippy Cups – Munchkin is one brand that makes BPA-free sippy cups for your little one.
Saralyn Ward is an award-winning writer, wellness advocate, and mountain mama. She is the founder of The Mama Sagas, writes for several publications and hosts a regular parenting TV segment on Colorado's Everyday Show. When she's not huddled over edits, you're likely to find Saralyn climbing peaks or skiing down them, and reminding herself that the two little girls that call her mom are not the boss of her.